View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Couldn't we assume, that the localisation, at least the ones being on K4, are on the Touch es well?
That's what I assumed as well, but this is not the case. The KT supports localization, but comes without any locales anyway (except for the en_US one of course). Still, I was hoping that the locales would be somewhat compatible, so that ideally, one could take K4 locale jars and put them on the KT. So I got my hands on the K4 locales with the help of Sir Alex, and quickly whipped up a script to compare them to the KT ones. Guess what:
- there are 637 resource ids present on the K4, but not on the KT.
- there are 654 resource ids present on the KT, but not on the K4.
- there are 61 resource ids in common.

Take these numbers with a grain of salt, as this is preliminary work. But you get the idea. All is not lost yet... I will further investigate this (seeing if I can find more matches when comparing the content instead of the ids). I'll keep you updated.
In the worst case, of course there is always prior work to build upon -- if only for the sake of not re-thinking about how to translate every single phrase, but already having a nice stock to start with. This also addresses your comment below - It'll still be work, but it should be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
@ixtab, I have done a nearly perfect german localisation on the K3 for a small group in Germany. Could give you a hand in doing the GER localisation for the touch. I am still hoping, Amazons starts to ship the touch international with the same language packages as the K4. Would like to do NOT the same amount of work as on the K3.
Would you provide me with the part you already have done?
I would, if only I already had anything (the screenshots above were the only thing I translated so far, just to see how it goes, and what the pitfalls are).

My suggestion, if you want to contribute to de_DE, is the following:
- [get a KT, jailbreak it if needed], and create the locale "metadata" file as outlined above, and get the KT to even think that there are other locales installed. See the various LIPC commands above.
- start by translating the blanket messages in /usr/share/locale. This is pretty straightforward and not a terrible amount of work. It's still pretty rewarding. And most of all it's completely independent from the rest.
- in the mean time, I'll keep looking at those Java locales and keep you updated about my findings. Don't be afraid of me translating everything on my own, I certainly won't. I'm still at the point of figuring out how to make this entire process as easy as possible (before even starting actual translation). Of course, this should also be useful for other translators.
- I suggest to leave the pillow / WAF parts out of the game for now, for one very simple reason: to provide a consistent terminology, this step should probably come *after* the Java part is done. However, if you're eager to jump at it, I'm attaching a very preliminary version of the wifi stuff in german.

These suggestions are really just that: suggestions. What I'm trying to avoid is stepping on each other's toes (in the sense of duplicating work).

Feel free to contact me by PM for any particular topics out of scope of this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: txt wifi_wizard_dialog_strings.js.txt (7.2 KB, 849 views)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote