View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by verydeepwater View Post
If however, you set 'Kindle' as default device on Kindle Previewer, then some of the formatting goes, for example space above paragraphs, and the large font size on the title page. I assume this is because the Kindle 4 and Kindle Fire use KF8 which is more compatible with CSS formatting, and the 'Kindle' setting on Previewer shows how text would appear on an older device, such as Kindles 1, 2 or 3. I would like to ask if this is correct.
That is correct.

Most people (most of the ones who make an effort to ensure things still look correct on devices that don't support the KF8 format) use special media queries (explained in the Kindle Publishing Guidelines) to instruct kindlegen (previewer) how to process portions of xhtml for the different formats (MOBI/KF8). Sometimes even going as far as to specify completely different xhtml/css for each format.

But mostly, unless you're doing some very tricky/delicate formatting, many people just find a natural balance (through trial & error & forum searching) of coding conventions that work equally well for epub, mobi and kf8. And if you require special formatting... then css media-queries to the rescue.

There's probably a lot of people who've decided to just not worry about folks with devices/apps that don't support KF8, but that seems ill-advised and premature to me. As long as people can purchase your work for a MOBI-only device/app, I believe you're obligated to give them the best experience possible. Something other than "oh, that's just going to be seen by people with old devices... how many of those are left out there?"

A lot of the Kindle apps for Apple devices don't support KF8.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote