View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly fail to see how anyone can meaningfully write a review on a book that they haven't read.
Well, let's start with the review I once wrote for a self-published piece of trash. In just one page it proved to be rambling, inconsistent, and illiterate. I said so. I believe that was meaningful without me having read the book.

However, the whole point of Goodreads is that you are allowed to use the review and rating fields for virtually anything you want. So they don't actually have to be "meaningful", though I would expect for all most all users they actually have meaning to the writer.

Finally, in this particular case, the author didn't complain about the review, she complained about getting 2-star ratings, and it's hard to argue that ratings are meaningful on any site (though I'd argue that Goodread's ratings are slightly more meaningful than the ones you'll find on Amazon).
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote