View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Yes, to my eyes, the background is every so slightly lighter on the nook. The text is much darker though. Illustrations, especially photos, look much better as a result of the added black levels. The background, at least on my DXG, isn't improved, it's just that the blacks are deeper.

At 100% crop with macro, you can see imperfections in the rendering of text (what you described as blur). This is like those comparison macros you might have seen in iPhone 4 reviews, where non-retina displays look terrible under macro, though they look fine to the naked eye. Imperfections in the text are readily apparent under macro. There is "noise" around the characters on the nook, but it's not as dark given the lower contrast and is thus harder to see. Increasing contrast, increases everything, not just the parts we want, so it's easier to see the "noise" around characters on the KDXG under macro. Though with the naked eye, I can't see it and the Kindle's text is much easier to read than the nook's. The IREX DR800SG has more "noise" than the nook or KDXG. It's particularly noticeable around the 3 letter p's in the word pepper, just as it would be with ink printing.

For the full review, I'll include non-macro side-by-side shots and that might be more useful for most folks.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote