View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Hi everybody.
This is the first time that I lead a discussion in a Book Club, and all that. A friend suggested me to find some instruction and so I did. The net is indeed the source of knowledge.

To help and facilitate the discussion, I post here some questions for study and discussion that I copied from this site.

But please comment in whichever way you want. Of course. the points below are just possible suggestions.
I put behind a bracket those that I find far from my personal interest, but that could be useful to someone else.

(* What is important about the title?)
* What are the conflicts in A Passage to India? What types of conflict (physical, moral, intellectual, or emotional) are in this novel?
(* How does E.M. Forster reveal character in A Passage to India?
* What are some themes in the story? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
* What are some symbols in A Passage to India? How do they relate to the plot and characters?
( * Is Dr. Aziz consistent in his actions? Is he a fully developed character? How? Why?
* Do you find the characters likable? Would you want to meet the characters?
* Does the story end the way you expected? How? Why?
* What is the central/primary purpose of the story? Is the purpose important or meaningful?
(* How does this novel relate to other modern literature? Is Dr. Aziz a strong character?
(* How essential is the setting to the story? Could the story have taken place anywhere else? In any other time?
* What is the role of women in the text? Is love relevant? Are relationships meaningful?
* How does A Passage to India relate to current politics/society/etc.?
( * Would you recommend this novel to a friend?

I put here my first personal comment on the book.
Introducing The Caves, Forster describes their origin. He wrote in the early twenties, just when the ideas of Plate Tectonics were starting to be developed. Forster description is admirable, both in presition and in evocative power: he gives me the poetic intuition of the giaint subcontinent bound to "muddledom". But mostly I recognize the depth of his thought and the care that he put in writing his last work. Is the Cave origin and destiny a basic symbol?
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote