View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well yes. But it's not really "Reading Class" at the point we're being asked to read those "boring old classics" any more, is it? We already know how to read. That's kind of my point. They don't only teach the fun, flashy, erupting-volcano science, or only the most recent (happened in the lifetime of the student) history, or strictly the applicable—when am I ever going to use this—kind of math. So I'm a little confused by the suggestion that a high-school English/Lit class somehow needs to be more of a "here's a book that kids your age seem to like. Read it. I hope you love it" sort of thing.

I guess it all boils down to a difference of opinion. And it's my opinion that a High School literature class has nothing to with instilling kids with a passion for reading. That ship has already sailed or sank by that point.
I think we're violently agreeing here. Your last paragraph is the important one (for me). Literature classes should instill a passion for reading. Whether they do or not is a different matter.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote