View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #251
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You really still like LSB? Wow, I honestly thought when I got to the end of this thread, your experience would be like mine<snip>
I don't know why. You know nothing about me or what I'm actually using it for. And as you'll read, I'm unsure if you have any real knowledge of LSB.

Quote:
I spent the time and learned it; even contributed articles to the LSB wiki;
They don't seem to be on the wiki anymore, so I can't assess the worth of them as an LSB user.

Quote:
... but at the end of the day, it's easier to use Word, and its fabulous outlining and document mapping, over LSB. LSB makes things, in my opinion, horribly over-complex. I mean, what's the usefulness of a colored background (whoop) and a timeline that, unlike YWriter, doesn't even show you one character compared to another?
I actually use the Timeline, but can't fathom what you mean by this comment. I placed characters on the y-axis, time on the x-axis and had text where there were intersections. Y-axis and x-axis remain visible at all times; scrolling up sees some names disappear, but the order can be changed. So too, the labels on the x-axis to reflect more time-critical events.

Quote:
The MindMap is hopelessly primitive, compared to something as simple as FreeMind (free). I found both the "Sequences" and the "Storyboard" not only useless, but gigantic timewasters. The builder? Meh. Still waiting to see for what possible use that would ever be better than a OneNote entry. The Story Outline was useful--but not better than Word, or FreeMind, for that matter.
The mindmap is a weak part of the application. It is very problematic to use.

Quote:
I was actually shocked when I realized that I couldn't write (for example) five chapters, then put them into the Storyboard, move them around, and output the result. No, neither Storyboard nor Sequences works that way--it only allows you to reorder things that aren't WRITTEN yet.
This is wrong. I just tried it on my novel. It would seem your two years of ownership was ill-spent. I'd suggest that you are probably better off with Word, yWrite, OneNote, Freemind, and any other application you fancy, then the LSB mailing list will have to face one less person having a "shrieking fit" when he finds he can't do something.

Quote:
<snip> I tried to output the RTF, which one would think would be simple, and the thing crashed. I was so frustrated I had a shrieking fit over at their forums<snip> I think it's the kind of program that is perfect for "fritterers," people who love to be distracted by bright shiny things, but, hell, I loathe it. Every time I think about using it, I can feel my head getting tight. You must be a visual kind of person, Metal Mick; I'm not.
Firstly, I am not a "fritterer", and I'm not certain what is meant by a "visual kind of person". I'd rather you didn't form judgments on me based on what software I use. I've striven for objectivity in this and other parts of MR and keep an open mind.

LSB creates and stores the chapters in rtf. I still have not had a crash. Nor have I seen a need to export from LSB into RTF. I just open the file...

Quote:
Sorry, don't mean to spew
I remain unconvinced that this statement is true.

Quote:
<snip>definitely lots of flash, lots of distractions, and very little productivity in the way of actual tools... I have four monitors<snip>Hitch
You don't like LSB, that's fine. I do. you and your monitors have a good day now.
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote