View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The ONLY reason it has such numbers is because that's all they push on people up here...
Ereader sales seem to be determined wholly by brand recognition and the strength of the retail channel. Amazon does well everywhere because it's already a known quantity in the book business everywhere. In most markets there seems to be room for at least one competitor tied to a large brick and mortar book chain: whether that be Nook in the US or Kobo in Canada, Japan, UK, France, etc.

I suspect the other ereader makers, without revenue from their own ebook stores, will be forced out of the market given how thin to non-existent hardware margins have gotten and how fast the product cycle has become. Amazon and Kobo can afford to come out with a cutting-edge new product every year and sell it at cost because they make it up on book sales: I don't see how even Sony can survive in a market like that (I'm not sure who would buy a PRS-T2 when the much-superior-spec-wide Paperwhite and Glo are the same price). The growth of cheap LCD tablets as book readers just compounds this: Amazon/Kobo/B&N can sell $200 tablets because they hope to make their money on content.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote