View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I still stand by my original statement. Invoking the 5th amendment does not and cannot imply guilt. The courts have said over and over again that a defendent cannot be forced to testify and and jury cannot use use that plea to assume guilt.
My point was simply that Reiner didn't make a blanket statement, allowing innocent people to invoke the Fifth because they felt like it. There has to be a reasonable fear of prosecution. Not an irrational or child's fear, or an imaginary fear; a real one with a real basis in law. Now, we can argue and split hairs from now until hell freezes over, but the logic argument that follows from that is pretty straightforward, and though juries are not often populated by rocket scientists, even they know it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote