View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
I appreciate your lengthy reply, but unfortunately most of what you wrote is incorrect.
What I stated was correct, you just haven't fully grasped what you are doing yet. When you check the box next to Remove spacing between paragraphs you are also selecting to activate the Indent size feature and must enter the proper value in this box. In your case the proper value according to the tooltip is any negative value.

One more time checking that box activates the Remove spacing between paragraphs / Indent size feature. This is one feature.

Quote:
DoctorOhh also suggested setting the indent value to 0, but that removes ALL indents in the text, so that no paragraphs are indented.
I never suggested a value of zero. I showed you where the info was on how not to have your paragraph indents changed. The tooltip suggested you set the value to a negative number to accomplish this. NOT zero.

Quote:
1.) I am not trying to fine tune the editing in Calibre. Quite the opposite.
Very much the opposite, fine tuning is polite. Using the Remove spacing between paragraphs / Indent size feature is massively altering your document by choice.

Quote:
You refer to it as XHTML.
The calibre manual which I linked you to describes it as XHTML. Did you bother reading the conversion section of the manual?

Quote:
2.) You wrote Calibre "doesn't insert tabs". That is 100% incorrect.
Again, when you choose to indent every paragraph (as you did by checking the box) then calibre will adjust the CSS so every paragraph is indented. No tab characters are used.

Quote:
Calibre automatically deletes the original tabs in my document. When I check the box to "remove line spaces" it then tries to re-insert its own tabs. Unfortunately, Calibre is "dumb" and sticks a tab after every paragraph mark, even if there was no tab in the original. For example, Calibre inserts its own tabs in chapter titles, making them off-center.
What you describe here is effectively true, when you check the Remove spacing between paragraphs / Indent size box you are telling it to remove spaces and insert the exact indent you tell it to insert. Don't want it to mess with your indents then put a negative value in the indent area as the tooltip states.

Quote:
3.) You wrote: "If you don't want your paragraphs to be indented or remain unchanged fix your indent value according to the tooltip on hover."
If only you took the time to actually read the tooltip.

Quote:
As you noted earlier, this setting is for wholesale changes to the document, not fine tuning. Thus, if set the indent value to zero ALL of the tabs in the document disappear... But I don't want ALL of them to disappear. I want to keep the original tabs in the document, and delete the new tabs the Calibre inserted on its own. This cannot be done as your described.
If you put 0 then the indent for every paragraph WILL be 0. Read the tooltip again.

Quote:
4.) You wrote: "The blog format you refer to is XHTML and every conversion passes through this format en-route to its final format... As previously explained every conversion passes through the XHTML format regardless of what options you choose... Essentially that is calibre's default."

Yes, I understand this. This makes it impossible to keep the original formatting of the original document.
Did you think it was all done by magic? You are changing from one format to a completely different format. In order to do this there is going to have to be some method to the madness. Read the manual to fully understand what is going on.

Quote:
5.) Perphas I'm not articulate enough to describe this with words, so please, please, please go back and see my second post where I use an actual example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...29&postcount=2
If this still isn't clear, I can e-mail you short examples.
It is clear that calibre is doing exactly what you tell it to do.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-25-2012 at 02:07 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote