View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Soulayrol View Post
Speaking of page numbers, I don't understand something on the Glo - which is my first ereader. On the two books I have opened until now, there is a page number at the bottom of the screen, and also a tiny page number in the right margin every two or three screens. The number at the bottom seems to follow the one on the side since it is only updated every two or three screens either.

I'd like to understand what belongs to the ebook and what is generated by the software here. And why the page numbers do not follow the displayed pages ? I thought the software did paginate the book on demand.

For the record, I only read sideloaded ebooks. The two I have opened until now are from feedbooks I think.
In sideloaded books, the page numbers at the bottom of the screen follow the actual book page numbers. So if the original (paper) book had huge pages with tiny tiny letters, a lot of text will fit on one page, and it might take three or four page turns on your ereader (if you have it set to huge letters) before you actually get to the next paper-book page.

As for the page numbers in the side margin, showing those is an option you can switch off. When reading the book, you can open up the book menu (centre or bottom centre tap), then select the "spanner" icon, then hit "reading settings", then go to page 2 of the reading settings. There you can un-check the "Show page numbers in the margin." As the description of the option there says, these page numbers are available to "serve as a consistent reference across all ereaders and devices." I personally don't use it as I only use the one device, and, like you say, the page numbers are usually consistent with the ones shown at the bottom of the page...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote