View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Well it turned out to be a weird one. I tried popping the SD card right into my laptop after posting the above, and Ubuntu wouldn't even recognize that anything was there. So I put it back in the device and plugged it in via USB, and it wouldn't recognize that any more either. So I tried to reboot, and just before the Ubuntu login screen, X froze. (Even Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc didn't work.) Rebooted again, got back into Ubuntu, but it still wouldn't recognize either the device or SD card.

Growing suspicious, I rebooted over to my Windows Vista partition. I popped in the SD card and it read it just fine. So I popped open a command line and ran "chkdsk /f f:" on it -- and got this:

Windows is verifying files and folders...
\.Trash-1000\files\The Reluctant Swordsman_ The Seventh Sword Book One - Dave Du
ncan.jpg first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\Fantasy\Duncan-FIGame.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will
be truncated.
\Fantasy\Duncan-CEdge.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will b
e truncated.
\Fantasy\fsf-December-2009.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry w
ill be truncated.
\Fantasy\Duncan-CWisdom.epub first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will
be truncated.

Bingo. The books read perfectly fine now, except for those that were specified in the error above (these are simply gone). Gonna retransfer those to the device, and I should be set.

Although, the device still lists them by filename and not by the book's actual title, which is mildly annoying, since the filenames from FW (as you can see above) are not the most legible at a glance.

//Edit: Come to think of it, Ubuntu only just released a kernel update, and I hadn't had any such problems with SD cards 'til then. I wonder if this is specific to the new kernel... may experiment later.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote