View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #38
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Great success using EBW1150 to surf the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
OK... I've managed to let the reader surf the web AND browse books from Linreb's bookshelf!!

I've installed Privoxy which runs on port 8118. So I configured the reader to use proxy listening in 127.0.0.1:8118. In Privoxy's main configuration file I've added ONE line "forward .ebooksystem.net 127.0.0.1:9090" (without quotes).

So, to surf the web, you only need to put an index.html file on Linrebs store directory pointing somewhere on the internet. In the reader you go to BOOKSTORE and click the icon and Linred should respond with that index page you created, after that, click on the link and VOILA!!
Is it clear?
This works fantastic using the EBW1150 to browse the internet.

I surfed to the MR wiki pages and everything downloaded fine (except .imp links! ), just that none of the hyperlinks are underlined (current limitation) so choosing what to click becomes cumbersome.

Alas, my REB1200 did not have any success using this approach to 'surf the internet' since it is connected to a router with a local IP address (192.168.0.X) and not connected to the computer running Linreb (127.0.0.1). The Linreb part works okay but the surfing HTTP requests are not passed through somehow.

I tried different configurations, but still no go! I'll keep trying to get the REB1200 fully working !

Ret, is it possible to use your local (WinXP box) IP address instead of 127.0.0.1? My situation, in essence, is one where the hardware reader is at one local IP address and needs to go through a computer running Linreb at another IP address which inturn needs to proxy properly with privoxy. My brain hurts now just thinking about this...

Any insights? suggestions?

EDIT: I removed the HTTP proxy setting on the REB1200 that is used to communicate with Linreb, but already had its content directory page loaded in and managed to get the REB1200 to surf the internet. So it is possible; just takes some more thinking...

Proof of concept is the surfing to the ETI home page with the REB1200. I just grabbed the closest capturing device to record this. Sorry, it is very low quality and low light!

EDIT: I just took some more pictures of surfing the internet (better lighting and quality). Have a look at my REB1200 Album and EBW1150 Album!

(attached thumbnails of movie-low quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200-surfing-to-ETI-homepage.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	15645  

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-22-2009 at 11:00 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote