View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
pilcrowphile
pilcrowphile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Spacing before chapter title stopped working :(

For reference, I'm hand coding with kindlegen, and using style sheets from books where this has worked previously.

Basically, I'm used to forcing the chapter heading down a few spaces by using a couple <p>&nbsp;</p>. This has never been an issue before.

So now I'm working on a new client's book (non fiction rather than fiction for the first time, so the paragraphs have spaces between them and no indenting, via p {text-indent: 0; margin-top:0.6em;} )

Now, when I do a dummy copy (I usually start with a blank version of my book, with just a cover, title page, TOC and first chapter with a bit of dummy text).

The book seems to come all right, but when I pop it the kindle ap on my smartphone, the only bumpdown that works is on the title page. Everything else is flush with the top.

So I try setting a special 'top' class of paragraph, first with 2em margin top then with 24pt margin top, no change.

I try changing the CSS on the H3 with a larger margin-top, no change.

Then I even go back and grab the old html of another book, where I've got a copy of the book where the bumpdown works. I strip out most of the body, and try rerunning it... and the bumpdown appears to have disappeared as well.

This is driving me up a wall! I expected to be done with this book by now, but I've spent the last 3 hours trying various trouble shooting attempts at getting there to be a little whitespace above the chapter headings.

Any ideas what might be going on?
pilcrowphile is offline   Reply With Quote