View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
It's certainly not far away of the way the libraries work now, but there are subtle differences :

- in a real-world library, if you want to read a book, you'll have to suggest it, wait, lease it, wait for it to become available, read it and return it. In my dream library, you use the library computer to instantaneously buy and lease an ebook ; so, for the first read, the process is exactly the same as if you bought the book for yourself.

- in a real-world library, you'll have to pay an entry fee even if you don't request a book ; it may not be necessary in the dream library, where you only pay for the books you want (in exchange, you may pay more, if you want to buy books often) ; the process is, once again, closer to buying books than leasing them.

But anyway, I've thought about this and I think that I found the problem, which is why no one has yet created such a library : the libraries, when they buy books, pay a lot more expensive price for them that regular people... The huge price includes the right to lease the book, and the arguable loss for the editor.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote