View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
gloopy
gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle WiFi, eco reader (Hanlin v3) - broken screen
Readers that use folder structure and file names

I know this question has been asked before (more than once) and I've gone through those threads but I'm trying to consolidate the information in one place.

I've owned two Hanlin e-readers (v3 & v5) and used a Kindle keyboard, unfortunately my current e-reader (Hanlin v3) just fell off the bench and the screen is kaput ....... time to get a new e-reader.

What I liked about the Hanlin e-readers:
I could just plug an SD card in to the computer, drag and drop my folders and subfolders that are already arranged the way I want them, plug the SD card into my reader and viola! It's all there in the exact same format - folders, subfolders, file names.
They could reflow pdf and read a lot of formats.
Depending on the format, I had alot of different font sizes to choose from.

There were plenty of things/bugs I didn't like but the folder structure is a big one for me. I have hundreds of thousands of books and at any one time I like to keep several hundred on my reader - it's not practical to have to 'resort' them after I move them to a reader, they've already been sorted the way I want them to be sorted for crying out loud. I don't want the reader to have to rely on metadata that may not be there, or if it is there, is incorrect.

From reading the responses to the threads already asking about this, these seem to be the readers that would support that basic need:

Onyx Boox i62HD
Pocketbook622
Cybook Orizon (apparently this has drawbacks when using a folder structure)
Bookeen Opus (Cybook Opus)
SONY T1 or T2 model AND root them (still not sure how I'd go about rooting an e-reader - I've never had to)
Sony PRS 505 with a third-party hack
nook ST series
Ectaco jetBook Lite
iriver Story HD
Amazon Kindle 2, Kindle WiFi, Kindle 3G WiFi, Amazon Kindle 4, Amazon Kindle DX and Kindle DXG (with Duokan Kindle)

Does anyone know of any others? I'll update this list if anyone knows of any others.

For me, I just want to read books with as few battery recharges as possible and be able to browse through my collection easily and logically without spending ages setting it all up every time I decide to add 50 books or so.
I don't want/need internet connectivity, I don't care about music, I don't need to annotate anything, I don't need a dictionary, I have no need to access online bookstores (I have a computer for all of that).
I like that the Hanlins reflowed pdf rather than the silly zoom Kindle does and that they supported so many formats.
Yes, I have Calibre but I also have hundreds of thousands of books and I'd rather be reading them than putting them all into Calibre and fixing up metadata.

Is it me, or is it unbelievable that such a simple thing is so hard to find?

Last edited by gloopy; 01-18-2013 at 07:05 PM.
gloopy is offline   Reply With Quote