View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In my case I never actually "learned to speed read" it just happened naturally. Sure there are times and books I like to mull over but for most of the time and for large parts of most books I don't feel the need.
Same here - just happened naturally. I can read pretty much any novel in 2-3 hours (books like LOTR excepted - that would take me an entire weekend), but I know very well that I'm missing a lot of the details in "scanning" a page rather than reading it line by line.

That's actually the reason why I so much enjoy listening to audiobooks, I think. There's no way to "scan" an audio book; it comes to you one line at a time and that's the way you hear it. I know that, after listening to an audiobook of a book that I've previously read on paper, I'm often surprised at all the details that I've missing when reading it on paper.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote