View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #47
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
A Couple of minor issues using Designer V5

I tried out the new Version 5 of Book Designer today and was very pleased with how well it works now for converting input to .lrf Sony Reader output. I have converted both HTML input books and PDF input. Both work very well.

When I tried to change the font size for a "local" string (a word or two) I found that when I selected the text to be changed, the Configuration-Fonts tool was minimized. I could not maximize the "Change Font" tool unless I removed the selection/highlighting of the words for which I wanted to change fonts. I was thus unable to change the FONT for a selected text string. Change Font worked well for global changes although the reader decides on its own which font types to display, irrespective of how I selected a global font. I was also unable to set the COLORS for a local text string using the "set colors" tool. As long as I had a character string selected the Set Colors remained minimized. Perhaps I am doing something wrong???

A very small "nit" I noticed in Self Teaching Lesson 1 was the use of the Expression "ups" in a couple of places. For example in the text: " Ups, three paragraphs but formatted as a verse. The paragraphs are not broken...". I think "ups" means in three paragraphs ABOVE. The term, may be used in non-US English (UK, NZ or Aus) but it was new to me. All in All the help files/self teaching documents were great and very clear to me. I was able to figure out what "ups" meant so it isn't a problem for me but might be for other users.

I found the DEFAULT values for the Fonts and Font sizes in the MAKE SONY READER file tool worked well for me.

One of the big new capabilities of Version 5 is the way it reflows the text so that we don't get short sentence fragments because of hard CRs.

Thanks very much for creating such a capable tool.

Last edited by Vienna01; 02-01-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote