View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
I don't agree with this at all. In a few words, APACHE, BSD, LINUX. None of these softwares were written as a commercial enterprise. And, they are the best, or among the best, of their types of software.

I don't have any idea if there are "code communists" out there writing software "for the good of society," but I do know that there are many programmers writing extremely good software "for free," for whatever reason. And alot of the open source stuff is better than the commercial variety, because the code is there for all to see and comment on.
But, with respect, does that mean that it should not be possible for me to make a living writing commercial software? There's nothing wrong with wanting make a living from one's "creative skills", and writing software happens to be where my skills lie. As a software author, I have the right to decide what to charge for my software. In the free market, anyone has the right to decide to buy it or not, as they wish, but they don't have the right to steal it merely because they decide that I'm charging too much for it.

What pisses me off more than anything is not people who pirate it, but people who duplicate it and sell multiple copies at a low price on eBay. That is a act of completely cynical criminal profiteering done solely for the purpose of profit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote