Thread: MobileRead August 2014 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Let the campaigns begin!

Two of those I've already read. As I stated in the other thread, The Martian is great and memorable, there's no doubt about that, but it's been discussed to death already at Mobileread, both in the Don's "Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?" thread (37 posts) and in its own thread started by curtw: "Really enjoyed 'The Martian' by Andy Weir" (57 posts). Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor was pretty good, but it was a bit difficult at times to follow the dialogue because the author, in my opinion, didn't always make it clear as to who was speaking. It was sometimes a bit of a downer for me because of the high body count, but others may feel that added to its realism. The Time Machine seems a bit moldy to me at this point, and I'm not really in the mood for space opera or books about video games, so I voted for (in no particular order) (1) The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner, the classic that introduced the concept of computer worms as well as gave a signature line to one of our members here at MobileRead, (2) The City at Worlds End by Edmond Hamilton, because the premise of a city being blown off the map—to somewhere else entirely, complete with all its still living inhabitants—is just so damn strange, and (3) Rendezvous with Rama, the story by Arthur C. Clarke of 2001: A Space Odyssey fame that many consider his masterpiece.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote