View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If, for example, Mobipocket allows 4 units at once:
I could use those 4 activations on my PC, 2 of my ebook readers and on another ebook reader of my wife.
Obviously, I'm allowed to loan it to her.
- But what would be, if I sold it to her? Or to my neighbour instead of my wife?
MobiPocket on its forum has generally taken the position that the 4-PIDs per ebook file defines the boundaries of what you can do (i.e. if you can do something without screwing with DRM then it is "legal"). If you have an ebook file with the PID of your device in the file then it is "legal" (at least not objectionable to MobiPocket) for you to read the ebook on that device. This even applies if your account no longer includes that particular PID (although if you have the ebook file on a Windows PC in the standard mobipocket directory, Windows MobiPocket Reader will likely try to overwrite it with one containing the current PID list).

So, I think it is ok to sell a device with existing DRMed MOBI files on it. This does not allow the buyer to transfer them to another device, so it a sense the original seller still "owns" these ebooks. It is the original seller who can delete that PID from his or her PID list and reactivate for a new device.

I don't know if MobiPocket would object if you sold a PID slot from your list to a 3rd party. This is a bit different from selling a device with ebooks on it. In both case, though, you are not selling all rights to the ebook. Since only you can redownload the ebook with a new set of PIDs in it. Note that MobiPocket is setup to minimize churning of PIDs, they could freeze your account if you tried switching PIDs too often.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote