View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I have no real idea about laws, but trying to make some sense (these are only my thoughts, it may be nonsense after all):

You can sell the ebooks you have bought, but you should delete all copies of them once you've sold them. If you sell a device with DRMed books, you cannot remove it from your account(s), so it stays taking a slot in the maximum number of devices.
With Sony's .lrx, I could leave the unit in my account, so actually the sold unit still would take the slot you describe. Without the unit available, I'd have to ask Sony directly to delete that unit. So it would be easy to prove: No harm, no foul.
But with other formats, for example .prc, I can add or delete any PID anytime. This would be retraceable by Mobipocket, but it can be done even after having sold the unit.

So, solution #1 would be, selling the reader plus the respective ebooks and afterwards deleting all the ebooks from my PC and never again accessing them.
No one could claim any harm, should be possible. As long as it's really bound to licenses (number of units) and not to users (me).

But solution #2 still remains an open question: I can use (depending on the format and provider) 4 to 6 units with the very same ebook. Can I sell one of these and still keep the other 3 to 5?
If it's bound to users (me), it's not legal.
If it's bound to number of licenses (4 to 6 units), it theoretically should be legal. But still the issue remains, deleting the sold units from the account and permanently adding new ones.....

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-28-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: addition
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote