Thread: Classic No zoom on PDFs
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
My understanding of PDFs is that each page in a PDF document is an image, usually acquired with a digital camera or scanner.
This is one form of PDF, and if a PDF only contains images then there is little you can do on a small screen. However, most PDFs start out as text with a few figures (images), e.g. a word processing document. The PDFs then have text in them, but a PDF does not have to store text and images in a "linear" fashion (i.e. as we would read it). For the PDF text to "reflow": a) it must exist as text (i.e. not for scans), and b) the software must be able to determine the reading order on the page. If a PDF is sold as a Adobe PDF ebook, then it probably reflows. PDFs made directly from a word processor also probably reflow, but more complex PDFs might or might not reflow. Sometimes just a single page does not reflow. An example of a hard page to reflow would be a two column article with a figure that extends over the full extent of the page.

If you want to try a few PDFs, the Sony eBook Library (Windows or Mac) treats PDFs just like a mobile Adobe Digital Editions EInk device with reflow would do. If the Nook has PDF reflow this is exactly how it will look in portrait mode (usually there is also a landscape mode).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote