Thread: Classic No zoom on PDFs
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
No zoom on PDFs

I had wondered if the Nook supported the PDF zoom capability, so I looked at a thread on the B&N Nook Boards asking for clarification about this feature. I thought others here might be interested in the B&N response

Quote:
JonDeSousa wrote:

Kevin, I also have a few questions. I was thinking about getting a Sony Touch e-reader, but I think this may be a better option for me. Only a few things could hold me back.

1. Does the Nook have capability to support the use of epub or pdf copies of Google Books? I know my palm centro has pdf capability but craps it's pants when I try to read a Google Book on it.

2. Does the pdf reading allow for zooming on the text?

3. Are there more than one font sizes for the e-reader books or is there only one standard size?

Thanks.
B&N's Response

Quote:
Admin Kevin wrote:

Thanks for the questions (and thanks for the help, JImM!).

1) Yes, we have Google eBooks on our site, and you can get them to your nook.

2) We'll check on the pdf zooming, but I don't think it does.

3) You can control the font size of your B&N eBooks. There are five sizes. We'll post some life-size pictures soon.
That's too bad if the Nook doesn't support zooming. Furthermore, I'd definitely want to see how well the Nook supports viewing PDFs on its 6" screen before buying a Nook.

If the PDF is an image of a page, and the PDF doesn't have reflow capability, then the Nook's PDF support will probably be rather poor. This isn't a knock on the Nook, as all devices with a 6" screen would have the same problem -- the screen is just too small for displaying most PDFs. If you could zoom in on a page it might make it bearable, but without a zoom feature I have to think that most PDFs will be nearly unreadable.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote