View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
carrie5012
carrie5012 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Xperia Z, iPad,ipod
Replacement for Kindle

Hi All

I am looking for your views on a replacement ereader. I currently have a Kindle 6" screen but am looking to replace this. My reasons for replacement are that Amazon have altered the way the device works (wifi turn on/off is no longer in the main menu) without asking and I find that although wifi is turned off when the Kindle is attached to the computer via usb cable it has automatically turned on when the device is unteathered from the computer! I tend not to have wifi on at all. I am also disturbed by increasing reports of Amazon closing down accounts which means you can't access content for which you have paid.

I source my books both from Amazon and elsewhere and use calibre for conversion with a pluggin to remove DRM so that I can store them for later use should, as I now contemplate, buy a different device later.

So, I am looking for a new device preferably one that is not tied to a particular retailer where wifi can be permanently turned off (I realise to get a reader without wifi is likely to be difficult).

As an aside I did think of deregistering the Kindle but can find little info on the net about this.

I am not 'techie' in that I don't do code but I can be tenacious in rooting out ways to do what I want to do with a device if it's not to difficult :-)

I live in Europe and not the US which may affect the devices available to me.

Thanks for your help in advance.
carrie5012 is offline   Reply With Quote