View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I think part of the push to get "Lolita" up is indignation that a book considered by most serious readers as one of the great works of the 20th century could be traduced by being described as in praise of paedophilia, and a book which should be banned from MR as not being "family friendly".

It certainly made me feel that the barbarians were at the gates and that I needed to take a stand on behalf of artistic freedom from censorship.
I did not follow the discussion on Lolita, but had the feeling I knew what it would be about based on past discussions: it is interesting that, at least based on previous discussions, those that seem to be most opposed haven't actually read it. Having rad it myself, I can confirm that my uber catholic septegenuarian mother would have no problems reading it, save for feeling for the plight of the little girl. Why a reasoned discussion on this text is to be banned while the much more morally dangerous Fifty shades... is all the rage, while I think it potentially pulls back up all sorts of sexual stereotypes that it may take forever to put back right!

And since we are on the topic, another work that deals with the topic very sensitively I think is The woodsman, in case you are interested (a movie, though).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote