View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #64
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
The only issue that would matter was the books I hadn't read--and if I changed readers from a Kindle to ePUB.

I don't have family members to share with (my mom reads, but not the same things I do. My nephew might someday want a book or two from my collection, but that's a maybe.)

It is, however, a valid concern and a fair one. Books should last longer than the device they are sold on/with. A standard format (epub or kindle or devices that support both) would go a long way to solving the problem, I think.
Would you be as concerned about DRM if more protection was built in for the purchaser?

Current laws are pretty one sided. If publishers were required to supply ebooks for one price in all currently used format or at least in open formats such as epub or pdf before licensing agreements were enforceable this could eliminate some of the concerns consuming many readers.
Another factor would be that once purchased a book should also be available to the licensee for life or the licensing agreement is null and void.

Basically I am saying it should be more than a one way street. I am not DRM paranoid, I think my epub books will endure till I die or at least long enough for me to read them but I would like to see a more level playing field.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote