View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #24
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
If I remember...the blurb for Notes...Tolstoy said it was Dostoyevsky's best work...... Read all of the ones you mentioned...and.... Really Love Hunger... IF there is one book to define 20th century writing that is it.... Hemingway as a big fan of it...as well as a plethora of other great early 20th Century writers........ and to finish off...my favorite Bukowski quote.....more or less paraphrased...: "It's not that I don't like people... it's just that I don't like to be around them".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. A. Logan View Post
Yes, Richard Brautigan, and Henry Miller, sometimes mining the same vein of experience as Bukowski.
John Fante, author of ASK THE DUST, is the greatest influence on Bukowski perhaps, according to Bukowski himself.
Knut Hamsun, Alexander Trocchi, Nelson Algren, come to mind also in relation to Bukowski's feral honesty/grit etc....perhaps even Dostoyevsky's NOTES FROM UNDERGROUND prefigures it all.
The apex of the lone, enduring, self-destructive "Holy Sinner" though, in literature, must be Knut Hamsun's 1890 chronicle of destitution and half-madness, HUNGER.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote