View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
By the way, in the first few days, my logs showed four or five hundred download attempts, the vast majority of them PDF. This surprised me, because PDF is probably my least favorite format for viewing, especially on my creaky old Pocket PC (Cassiopeia). I labored long and hard to get a decent PDF, and the one I have up there now looks good on a PC, but doesn't reflow properly to a small screen. One person locally tried to help me, and she came up with a file that reflows right, but it's a huge file--5 MB. I'm not sure what to do about that.

The project altogether was far more work than I'd dreamed. First, I had to update my word processor file (originally in WordStar for DOS) with all the copy edits and formatting stuff. Then, learning how to use, trick, and defeat the various conversion programs took days. Then, naturally, I had to update my web site itself to accommodate the downloads. (The whole point of this, initially, being to promote my forthcoming novel, Sunborn, to be published by Tor at the end of October.

It was only when I started this project that I seriously looked at e-reading software myself, and discovered how much better MobiPocket and eReader are on my Pocket PC than PDF. And now I have my Cassiopeia loaded with e-books from Gutenberg and Tor and Baen.

If anyone out there is expert in other formats (such as Sony ereader) and would like to convert my RTF (available now) for other devices, I'd be happy to post those, also.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote