View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #53
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I loved the ents scene in the movie. However, when I read it in the book, I kept turning the page and thought, we are still here?

My husband loves Tolkien, and his brother is even more of a Tolkien geek, but I just couldn't get into it. But for me, I am not really into fantasy, and I didn't really find the desire to learn the languages Tolkien created appealing. (Although I was suitably impressed that he actually created unique languages for his characters to speak in from time to time). Every time someone broke into poetry reading or reciting in the book I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I've read the entire series, my husband and I together, and I have no desire for a re-read.

EDIT: well, that last sentence is not entirely true. A re-read is possible, but I like good long breaks between. I've read the whole thing twice, so I don't even dislike the books.
Quite true about the Ents scene in the book and also a 2-chapter-boring-example is Tom Bombadil. Very annoying. But, as a whole, marvelous piece of work.

P.S. Try and read the poems. Some of them are nice.

Quote:
"Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the mountains and the sea.
His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen.
The countless stars of heaven's field
Were mirrored in his silver shield.
But long ago he rode away,
And where he dwelleth none can say.
For into darkness fell his star;