View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I've found both what I think of as "soft" scene breaks (extra blank space) and "hard" scene breaks (extra space with an ornament, three asterisks, or horizontal rule) in books. Usually a book uses one style or the other, but I've seen the occasional book, both printed and ebook, that use both, one indicating a small jump and the other a larger one.

When massaging ebook files I habitually replace the old text convention (***) with a horizontal rule (25% width is my preference) and make sure that there is a non-breaking space in the "soft" scene breaks if they are done with simple paragraph tags (<p>, I replace any <p></p> pairs with <p>&nbsp</p>) instead of a CSS style. I haven't encountered it myself, but I've read that some ereader software ignore empty paragraphs and therefore don't display the extra blank space when a simple <p></p> pair is used.
The format scene breaks option under heuristics is doing things along these lines - although scene break detection is currently only working in a couple special cases and really needs a some more work put into it. One of the things that I'm starting to dislike about 'soft' breaks is that they really don't work with ebooks. With a printed book the publisher will always make sure a soft break winds up in the middle of the page so it's obvious to the reader. With reflowable books more often than not a soft break will wind up on a page break, and then the user won't even realize it was supposed to be a softbreak. So the idea of the format scene breaks option just replaces all scene breaks with horizontal rules.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote