View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
eReader Promo done wrong?

Noel L. Griese is not happy with the current eReader Everyday in July promotion. In the ebook community he lists several points of what he thinks went wrong with the promo:

Quote:
  1. Difficult to find the free eBook offer because poorly promoted on site home page.
  2. Even at the free eBook page, it's difficult to find the hyperlink to the offer.
  3. Offer requires a convoluted registration process.
  4. Requirement for a credit card number to download the book likely to make customers leery.
  5. Download won't work if you've set your browser to block cookies.
  6. PR person who wrote the announcement took a week's vacation immediately after the release was issued, leaving no one to answer queries form the press or customers.
  7. The free eReader version doesn't automatically open the downloaded eBook when the eBook is clicked.
  8. Unlocking and opening the free eBoook requires another convoluted process involving credit card entry.
  9. Neither the free nor the premium eReader is anywhere near as good as the Microsoft or Acrobat readers. Biggest defect in my opinion is lack of powerful justification. Regardless of what legible typestyle used, many lines of type leave big gaps that slow down the reader.
  10. Process for downloading the free version of eReader is not easy to find or understand.
My comments:
  1. Promo shows in the first top banner on the eReader frontpage. It was also previously announced in a press release.
  2. A click on the book cover brings you to the offer.
  3. Any suggestion to make the registration process easier?
  4. Requirement for credit card is necessary for publishers to enter the promotion. The downloaded e-books are tied to the hash code of your credit card, which makes it less likely for someone to pirate them later.
  5. It's easy to enable cookies for selected sites.
  6. Cannot comment.
  7. I am glad it doesn't. Took me a while to find out how I turn off Adobe PDFs inside my browser when attempting to download PDF files.
  8. See my comment in 4. why this is necessary.
  9. Many users would disagree with you here. I don't know of many who use Microsoft Reader or Adobe Acrobat on their e-book reading devices and prefer the two over eReader. Anyways, what does this comparison have to do with the promotion?
  10. A pair of reading glasses might help. Also see my answers to 1. and 2.

Don't forget that Mobileread offers a RSS feed for the current eReader Summer Promo.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote