View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Note that <em> and <strong> could be read with different "accent" by a text-to-speech system (i.e., they're not just visual markup). I often resort to just using <em> for anything italic, but with some careful markup (in an ideal world) I could use:

<em>: for an emphasized word: I am not going out with you.
<span class="title">: for a title: Have you read The Hobbit already?
<span class="name">: for a ship or dog name: And then The Invincible arrived.
<span class="foreign" xml:lang="fr">: for foreign words: This is so suffissant of you.
<strong>: for strong emphasis: No, no, no, NO!

And then something like:

em, span.title, span.name, span.foreign { font-style: italic; }
strong { font-weight: normal; font-variant: smallcaps; text-transform: lowercase; }
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote