View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #22099
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
no stitchy, people like thee and me are kind of like the folks that they say "greatness seeks them out" for us I think the adventure is in the DNA, it's not even like we go searching for it, it's as normal as drawing breath
True... true... If I had to make my living in some sort of hell with fluorescent lighting, I'd probably slit my wrists. There is an old Chinese 'curse' that says 'May you live in quiet times.' Curse... not blessing. When I was going on my last trip a few weeks ago, someone wished me an 'boring flight.' I understood the sentiment, and appreciated it for how it was meant... but I would have much preferred a flight with an engine falling off or hijackers. Much more interesting.

Some years ago we were diving the waters off the island of Sipadan off the east coast of Borneo for a week. Some of the world's best diving there. Less than six days after we left, Abu Sayyaf guerrillas occupied the island and took 21 hostages from the dive resort, holding them for months. (The two American divers refused to cooperate with the guerrillas and escaped into the jungle.) From that day on, because of the incident, my wife and I each carry a 'hostage kit' packed into a waterproof cigarette box 24/7 when ever we are in 'less than friendly waters.' (antibiotics, anti-dysentery, pain meds, US dollars, and electrolyte powder.) We have not stopped traveling in those areas.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote