View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Frescard
Enthusiast
Frescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with othersFrescard plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The T1 is a great device for the more advanced user. And for the user who doesn't want to be so tied to the Amazon or B&N store. And for the user who likes the shape and weight. Lighting is NOT everything. The Kindle can NOT match what the Sony does with Calibre in displaying series information in the title list. That is invaluable.

Yeah, after trying several other current readers (and watching the Kindle press conference) I did go with the T1 after all, since it still seems to be the best option.

My first try was a Kobo, and while the size and feel was nice, and their software fairly open and flexible, the page turns (via touch) were just way too erratic, so it went back to the store.
Then, with my bad touch experience, I figured a Nook with "real" buttons would be the solution, but they turned out to be useless—their softspot was way to small, and you have to press them pretty hard to respond, so I never used them for actual reading.
The touch screen on the Nook worked pretty well though, so that was encouraging, but their "walled garden" philosophy seems to be even worse than Amazon's. It doesn't even have a rudimentary browser, so if you want to download from anywhere else but B&N, you always have to go through PC=>USB cable, which is pretty annoying.

The Kindle Paperwhite looks nice (on screen), but I just know Amazon is gonna try as hard as they can to keep you inside of their walls, and that's just not something I'd feel comfortable with.

So, it seems the Sony is still the best of the bunch.
Even though I could've gotten the T2, I decided to go with the T1 instead, due to the audio support, the button shapes, and the fact that (going by some screenshots) it's contrast actually seemed better than the T2 (the T2 just seems brighter overall, and I just came across a new user's post that confirmed this suspicion).
Sure, calling it a "T2" is a bit of an exaggeration—something like "T1.1" may have been more appropriate, but hey, that's marketing...

I don't have it yet (it should be delivered today), but going by my experiences with the Kobo and the Nook, and playing around with some in stores, I'm pretty confident that I won't be returning the Sony any time soon.
Frescard is offline   Reply With Quote