View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud
One other issue--I see that Slayda recommends higher resolutions for OCR, but I've been following the recommendation of the OmniPage manual, which says that 300 dpi is ideal, and that while you might want to try 400 dpi for very small text, higher resolutions that that actually hurt OCR accuracy.

It makes sense to me that higher resolutions should do better, so I'll run a comparative test when I get the leisure. Does anyone else have some experience on this issue?
The "auto color select" that I used on my first attemp, apparently saw the "yellowed" pages as color so the scanning was at 150 DPI. Had I forced it to BW, it would have been 300 DPI.

I plan to compare various resolutions and see how it affects speed and OCR accuracy.

At the 150 DPI, I had a lot of confusion between t, l, 1, i, f, & sometimes J. Also "cl" was sometimes seen as "d" & "ib" as "th". I think the 300 DPI should take care of most of these. Some interesting confusion, like "lot" being seen as "tol".

More later.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote