View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #25
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Steve: No, I haven't read Steinhauer yet. The Tourist doesn't interest me as much as the Yalta Boulevard Sequence you mentioned (that's the author's unofficial way of referring to those books).

I should maybe amend my above post to say that The Quiet American is more espionage than mystery, and The Comedians would be more thriller, I guess, than mystery.

December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith (aka Tokyo Station) - Japan in 1941

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - a hostage situation in an unnamed South American country, but the events were drawn from a real-life story in Lima, Peru. However, it's more Gabriel García Márquez Love in the Time of Cholera than Tom Clancy Rainbow Six.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco - a monastery in Italy in the 14th century. It's a bit dense with all the religious and political talk, but the library is certainly fascinating--certainly more interesting than the murders.

The Honourary Consul by Graham Greene - a kidnapping in an unnamed South American country

I'm going to steal another one from Steve: Alan Furst's World War 2 espionage thrillers. But I fear I'm getting too far into espionage and thriller territory and straying from your mystery requirement.

Last edited by SlowRain; 02-22-2011 at 01:50 AM.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote