View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Of course the PRS-500's days are numbered! IIUC, it has less than 30 days of life! (Isn't the PRS-505 slated to be released Oct. 15? Somebody help me out here, I'm having a 'Senior Moment'.)

So wave bye-bye to the PRS-500 as it slowly sinks beneath the waves of the Sea of Obsolescence. Remember it fondly and then step to the counter and buy yourself a PRS-505!!!

What I'd like to see is someone do a port of FBReader or Mobipocket over to the PRS-500. I'm pretty sure it could be done - at least the latter - as they've done it for the iLiad - and Bookeen has a working Mobi reader for the Cybook Gen3, although I *THINK* theirs is based upon the Boo Reader software. Does a decent job of it too. I've been reading all my new Baen Webscription ebooks in Mobi PRC format on it.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
At the risk of sounding like the bearer of doom, I make this thread.

Bear in mind, first, that I love my Reader, and my wife loves hers.

That said, with the even greater rumblings of a near-release Amazon reader, and the complete lack of a user-base for the current PRS-500, does anyone think the reader (Sony's) is going away?

I truly feel like my wife and I are the only people in the world who own a Reader. I've never, ever, ever met anyone else (and I travel a lot by plane) who owns one.

The Reader software is pretty crappy. We have all these buttons and Sony refuse to support the darn thing! Hello Sony! I'd like my 1 through 0 buttons to do more than select my book and send me various percentages of the way through my books! How about *gasp* being able to press 264 to get to page 264!?

Add to this the absolutely atrocious Connect store that Sony seem almost adamant on not doing anything about. Combines these thing, and it feels like the Reader is just dying a really, really slow death.

Then again, there's this rumored PRS-505, so who really knows?

I just feel it. I feel the Reader disappearing into oblivion, despite liking the darn thing so much.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote