Thread: Cover Design
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #60
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaringNovelist View Post
I myself am extremely excited about the idea of a new Pulp Era. It was, actually my motivation to start publishing.

I used to love reading the Rex Stout mystery novelettes that were three to a book (Trio for Blunt Instruments, Three for the Chair, titles like that).

I have a bunch of things that I want to write shorter than the print industry likes. Including some serials. Right now I've got to figure out what to do with the sequel to Wife of Freedom. It's a longer book, and it has a decent breaking point about two thirds of the way through (and the last third needs the most work). But at the same time, there's a really satisfying arc to a couple of the characters that would work better in one story.

Sigh, well, when I'm done writing the mystery, I guess I'll throw myself into that.

I was having this discussion about lengths with a cohort of mine and we decided on our own, non New York word count - Anything over 35 k and below 65k and it's golden for what we're trying to achieve. Screw New York and the publishing industry. Pulp should be fast, short and leave you wanting more (and that's when we start charging, when there's more to be wanted )
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote