View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #79
gazza
gazza began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Well now. Amazon is perfectly entitled to tell us or not tell us what its sales are. It would have an effect on the policies of the other e-book reader makers so keep them quiet does no harm. I am a journalist and anyone who believes press releases also believes in Welsh dragons. I now have two Kindle 3s and am astounded at the quality of the machine. Could it be improved? Sure. The indexing system leaves much to be desired or it totally awful depending on your point of view. But as a way of loading and reading books it is quite remarkably marvelous.
I bought Kindle 3 for Dummies hoping it would tell me how to index all the containers. No reply. I have read everything I could. The man who wrote Caliber -- cannot remember his name but he is a true genius -- thinks it so bad they only answer is to buy a Sony instead.
What I think we need is a swap club -- DRM ignored. And before the fingers are pointed I am a journalist and book writer --my wife says 22 -- and I would not allow any publisher to stick DRM on anything.
At the moment I have set up an enlarger stand with a digital camera and lights and am going to make my own lists. But perhaps there is an easier way.
Finally, I think the Kindle is a total wonder. I have seen it in development for 25 years -- that figure is correct -- and I cannot believe the excellent of the result. Just let me get the indexing straight.

Gareth Powell in Sydney where it looks as though it is going to be a very warm day.
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote