View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #17
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What sites have you found? I've found nothing yet that's worked as well for me.
I poked around at a couple today:
  • The Old Reader -- Looks a lot like Google Reader used to, and supports most of the same keyboard shortcuts. Doesn't have any way to categorize feeds into folders (at least as far as I've found). The deal breaker for me is that they only refresh feeds around once a day, with no way to manually force a full refresh. You can refresh each feed individually, but that's not good when you have more than ~3 feeds.
  • NetVibes -- Has a ton more stuff than what I want, but the reader view is okay. Feed management has to be done through the widget view, and the deal breaker for me is that there's no way to sort feeds oldest first. It also doesn't seem to refresh often enough, at least in comparison to Google Reader.
  • Bloglines -- this is literally just a reskinned NetVibes, though possibly hosted on different servers. Same shortcomings apply.

I haven't yet tried NewsBlur because they're currently down, but it's open source, meaning you could spin up your own local server if you wanted. But I don't know what the UI looks like, so I'm not going to do that until I've had a chance to play with the public site.

For now, nothing is as good as Google Reader, so I'll keep using that and hope this will all blow over once Google realizes how many people are still using the service.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote