View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #155
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
In my understanding MR is a forum for ebooks and ebook reading. Now it's being inundated with threads about a phone. Relevance for ebooks? Nil.
I agree with that almost 100%. Phones some people do use phones to read on, so it might make sense for there to be *one* thread on the iPhone.

But at this moment, there are 5 or 6 threads on the News page dealing with the iPhone - I think there are 3 threads on lawsuits, one thread about the maps, this thread, one about the smartphone market generally...oh, and a closed thread on the swiss railroad clocks on the iPad. None of which, as you point out, has much to do with e-books, and really makes MR look just like any other tech site, rather than one focused on e-books.
Quote:

It does seem rather pathetic to use terms like "hater" just because people are critical of the newest gadget produced by some multinational. To use such language indicates that some people do not look at this on a very rational level.
I think it's the right word. I'm very critical of Apple's e-book deals with publishers, for example, and my sig, FWIW, is also critical of Apple. There are interesting discussion that can be had in this area by people who are interested in having discussions.

However, there are a handful of posters, often the same ones, who come into any Apple thread and post basically snarky, content-free posts sniping at Apple, Apple users,...well, really just those two. They tend not to be interested in a discussion because they simply want to bash Apple and its products and its users, mostly based on no actual information.

So I think "haters" is accurate.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote