Thread: Seriousness In science we Trust.
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I trust no one.

Seriously......even many so called "scientists" are funded by private corporations or are government backed. How else can they afford their research?

Everyone, EVERYONE has their own agenda.....so every poll, news source, etc is skewed from the start.
I don't know about the situation in the US but here in Belgium that's pretty much the truth. I work for a non-profit organisation that was founded as a support for a Minister. My job is to conduct research, most of that research is funded by that same Minister.

So: the minister orders research carried out because he wants to prove some point he's been making. If our conclusions don't support his ideas, he'll just ignore our research or misinterpret them (maybe not on purpose, but who knows ?).

So although we try to be scientific (because we're scientist/researchers and we want to conduct research properly), it's usually pretty hard to ignore all the political pressure. Which also means sometimes we publish research reports that we're really not happy about.

Conclusion: you should always be a little skeptical when you read research reports.

Last edited by Iridal; 10-17-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote