View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
DrewBoyd
DrewBoyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question Tags introducing extra spaces to text?

Hi,

I have recently started using Sigil to build my ebooks and find it to be a brilliant program! Even without a lot of training I'm able to figure things out and just get on with it -- which is my idea of a first class program!

That said, I am having a problem and I hope this is the correct place to ask for help. I've searched this site and the net at large and can't find the answer. I feel like it's just something silly that I'm doing but I can't figure it out and it's frustrating.

When I used a tag such as: Bill yelled <i>help</i> loudly. I got extra spaces in the book view (and after I uploaded the ebook to Amazon) so that it came out looking like this:
Bill yelled xxhelpxx loudly.

It's like the space occupied by the tag is intruding into the text.

So I tried taking out the proper spaces that should be there and that helped a little but the space is still too big. For example: Bill yelled<i>help</i>loudly. So I ended up with:
Bill yelled xhelpx loudly.

Then I read a lot and thought maybe I should use "span" and css instead, but that didn't work either since the <span> leaves a big gap in the text as well.

I'd appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

Last edited by DrewBoyd; 02-20-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: To make example more clear
DrewBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote