View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
I would prefer to avoid registering, but if the device is right I will. I don't like the Kindles because I don't want the cloud storage. I was just looking at the Nook STR and it appears that B&N again gives little space for non-B&N purchased books. Of course there is the SD card but that just bugs me. So how are the Kobo touch and the Sonys? In those forums I find a lot of how to and troubleshooting questions but would love to hear more overall reviews.
I have an older Sony model (PRS-350) but in the two years I've owned it I've never had to troubleshoot. I brought the Sony (I upgraded from the original Nook as well) in part because their readers have such a good reputation. It shouldn't be surprising the any reader forum will have a lot of troubleshooting questions. I wouldn't take that to mean the reader itself is defective. Just that the forum attracts a lot of troubleshooting posts.

I registered my Sony reader with Adobe in order to read library e-books but it's not very complicated. It took me about five minutes to do so. The reader itself is great. There's no partitioning of books based on its origins. The collections feature is great and helps me to sort my library. My reader doesn't have a micro SD slot but it had 2GB of internal memory. This is more than enough memory for my library. I haven't come close to filling most of it or even a quarter of it. I think all of the newer Sonys have a micro SD slot and page turn buttons. They all read ePub, which the most open format.

I think the Sony, Nook STR or Kobo would fulfill most of your needs. You have to remember that you won't likely find an e-reader that has everything you're looking but you can definitely find an e-reader that has most of the features you're looking for.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote