View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have never stripped DRM. There are websites that can walk you through how to do it. We are not allowed to give instructions or website locations here.

There are some countries and states where it is illegal to strip DRM, I don't have a list. There are some folks who think that it is legal to strip DRM as long as it is for personal use and you don't make the non-DRM fils available to all on the darknet. There are others who think that this is not legal. The reality is that it is a grey area of the law and you should do what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I have not had a need to strip the DRM off of a book because Amazon has had all the books that I want at a reasonable price. (shrugs) There are others who feel that the safest thing to do with any book that you buy is to strip it of its DRM immediatly.

I would recommend saving all of your books to your computer so that you have your own archive no matter what else you do.
In general, I agree with your statement.
There's one flaw with the existing DRM though:
Amazon's DRM (and others) is bound to your specific unit = your Kindle's serial number. You can't use the file you download to your PC on any other Kindle, for example a replacement unit in 2 years. This happened to me, when upgrading from Kindle DX to DX Graphite. New reader = new serial number = re-downloading >300 eBooks.
No problem for now. But what if Amazon would leave this area of business?
Might not seem realistic for now, given their success.
But you never know about strategic decisions of global corporates. Has happened before...
It simply is safer to make your content freely available in advance. Just in case...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote