View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
As a guy who writes science fiction, I have often pondered the question of why fantasy sells so much better than SF. My own daughters gravitated more toward fantasy, though one of them definitely still enjoys SF. I tend to agree with those who say that too much SF nowadays is dystopian -- and I've put down my fair share of novels and stories that were well written, but too depressing for me to want to spend time in their world.

I think it's true that good SF demands more of the reader than does fantasy. (And that's not a criticism of fantasy; I enjoy good fantasy as much as anyone.) But even SF that's basically escapist entertainment does require a reader to internalize a world different from our own, and (if it's good) perhaps to question our assumptions on some level.

Writers like Lois Bujold continue to write SF that entertains, makes us love (and sometimes hate) the characters, and encourages us to think. Bujold is popular. Sawyer and Stross are popular. But there are other terrific writers like Ann Tonsor Zeddies and Rosemary Kirstein who have never achieved the same popularity, in spite of the quality of their work. I know, unfortunately, too many good SF writers who have grown discouraged over years of poor sales, and who aren't writing as much anymore.

Side note: I teach writing workshops from time to time, and by far the majority of students who take the workshops are more interested in writing fantasy than SF.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote