View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #19
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
OK, I'm starting to lean that way. I saw it in the old code, but when I starting writing the plugin I wanted to start simple first. I'll need to see how to incorporate this without making updating the preferences even more confusing.
Cool. Even if it was one universal item for all collection elements that would be good (ie, "don't create collections for groups with less than __ books" or whatever). Since you're allowing the option for people to tweak to use user columns, this would be a good compromise. It would satisfy my OCD, and anyone else who wants to avoid single-book collections.

Quote:
Updating instead of rebuild a big change - a lot of effort to read the Amazon file and merge the two. I like the clean slate each time and it'll take a lot to make me want to do this. What do you mean by "non-modified Amazon files" falling out of collections?
There are some Amazon files that simply won't stay put. Most can be taken care of by double-converting to strip the Amazon ASIN, but some of the books I have will not convert properly. Also, Kindle Active Content games and apps fall into this category. They can only be put into collections by using the Kindle, but will stay there if there is an "update" mode like the script I'm using. I only run in rebuild mode if I've made a lot of changes. I understand if you don't want to do it, I just wanted to explain why it could be useful.

Quote:
Run it in debug mode as described above - the debug file is displayed after you exist Calibre and it tells you where it stored the log.
Ah, yes. Not sure how I missed that part.

Quote:
Good point - will need to test as well, and update "any" to something else.
I'll play around with it some too this weekend. I can tell you, however, that tags (or any other collection-generating element used) cannot contain an ampersand followed by a space. You will get "&&nsbp". Kindle reverts to code under seemingly arbitrary circumstances. Oh, I'm sure there's logic to it, it just requires trial and error to see the logic. If you come up with any results in that area, post it here and I'll do the same. My plan is to create a user column with items using special characters and generating collections from that column. That's the easiest way I can think of to test it without messing with my existing collections.

Edit to add - Now that I think about it, the ampersand thing may be a python character issue. I think calibre displays the ampersand but it's replaced by the code behind the scenes, which is why it shows up that way on the Kindle. Hmmm... that gives me more to think about with the "special character" thing.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 01-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.