View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Not sure if the Lounge is technically the right forum for this request - but it has heaps of erudition, so thought I'd try here first.

Does 'turchino' have any other meaning than 'deep blue' in Italian?

A book I'm working on has :
"revealing not only the Italian bed with its crackling high-piled mattress of turchino"

I thought, from the context, it might be some sort of fabric - (it really may just mean the colour, altho that seems rather inconsequential).

I want to add a footnote explaining the word, so want to get it right.

Hi what is exactly the Italian phrase/context? I think the "cerulean/deep blue" could be a good translation, but it could take various meanings ("made up by cerulean fabric", "cerulean-coloured" and so on).

And, for any translation help:

Cruscle, the historical Vocabolario della Crusca which isn't much of use for everyday Italian, but could help for old-fashioned works
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote