View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #51
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It's a 50MB limit for Web Apps in iOS, for now-is that the limit you are hitting?
Doesn't seem to be - surely it can load up my archive list and show a few covers in under 50MB? The Kindle for Ipad app has no issue.

I went thru three levels of support and they escalated it the programming group. The last support guy told me most of the 'big' libraries they had looked at had 100 books .... I have over 4,000. It looks like they are trying to grab the list all at one time (instead of in chunks, as the MYK page does) and it takes longer than the timeout value someone hard-coded into the app (yeah, writing programs for a living makes it so easy to see what someone else has done wrong, especially if you had to actually get a degree and had professors who tore up your designs if you didn't account for all cases...). Having had to write full-size applications that ran into megasize datasets, I know how easy it is to take be a bit lazy and then have to go back and account for very large sets that come back in chunks that are a bit easier to digest).

The Kindle for iPad app is much better, but the Read Now does work (funny that you only end up with one Cloud Reader app in your Kindle list, even if you install on two computers at the same time, too) and presumably would only use a book license while it was in use (which looks like it would be great for library computer installations, where patrons read at a desktop location, which is quite popular with the homeless population at our downtown library).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote